Sociology

Some of this blog is devoted to ‘A’ Level Sociology Topics

• The Family
  • Education
  • Crime and Deviance
  • Global Development
  • Research Methods
  • The cross-cutting themes of inequalities by class/ gender and ethnicity

The rest of the Sociology bit of this blog aims to tackle sociological issues in an accessible way, very much in the spirit of C.Wright Mill’s ‘Sociological Imagination’, Peter Berger’s ‘An Invitation to Sociology’ and Zygmunt Bauman’s ‘Thinking Sociologically’, all of which are recommended as good introductions to real sociology. To my mind, real sociology is committed, humanistic and critical, and to this end I’m especially interested in the persistence of class inequalities, and encouraging critical awareness of how neoliberal systemic imperatives increasingly colonise our lifeworlds

Also following Inge Bell’s 1979 proposition, I’m interested in developing a Buddhist Sociology. Somehow, I feel this is related to both developing a critique of neoliberalism and developing sociological theory into the 21st century.

Enjoy! Comments welcome,

Karl. 06/10/13

2 thoughts on “Sociology”

1. Thanks for the reminder of the 8 fold way and especially how in the West we conspire to do exactly the opposite.