Realsociology

For committed sociology, agains neoliberalism

Teach Global Development – It’s fab!

Posted by Realsociology on January 25, 2011

We start the most important module in A2 this Wednesday – and my absolute favourite – Global Development. As far as I’m concerned any teacher who doesn’t offer this option at A2 Sociology is really letting the side down.

This module, more than any other, appears to have escaped the clutches of the AQA agenda setters –  who have done so much to bastardise the structure of all the other options (religion and media especially) – the structure and content are totally relevant to the 21st century – (unlike with crime and deviance you don’t have to teach theory from the 1890s)

The problem, however, with this having escaped the agenda setters is that the content of the module is much much broader than in any other of the AQA options -

The key areas of study are as follows – broken down to make it a bit more understandable ! This is slightly different to the way the module is presented in the Ken Browne text book, which I think is good for this module, but too thin on detail, and very different to the way the topic is presented in the Stephen Moore text book – I don’t recommend that book for this topic!

1. What are the key features of a  ’developed’ country and what are the key features of an ‘undeveleped’ country?

ewaste_dump_site

2. How can we measure how ‘developed’ a country is and what are the problems with these ‘indicators of development’?

wealth distribution map - 2015 projection

3. How do we categorise/ rank countries according to their level of development, and what are the problems with these systems of catetorisation

800px-North_South_divide_svg

4. Theories of development - Why are ‘undeveloped’ countries undeveloped? Is it due to cultural barriers, the fact that they are exploited by the more powerful west, or because they are isolated from global trading networks. What are the most effective strategies underdeveloped countries should adopt to become ‘developed’ -

ena0324l

5. What is Globalisation? Economic, Political and Cultural dimensions

globalisation_305935

6. What role do each of the following institutions play in global develoment? – Nation States, the World Trade Organisation and the International Monetary Fund, Transnational Corporations, Non-Governmental Organisations and the United Nations

globalisation12

7. What is the role of aid, trade and debt in relation to development and underdevelopment?

foreign-aid

8. What is the role of industrialisation and urbanisation in development – (really part of of modernisation theory) – arguements for and against their importance in development and problems that industrialisation and urbanisation create in developing countries

CB001324

9. The environment and development – environmental problems faced by developing countries and the arguements for and against sustainable development

carbon-emissions-fuelling-atmosphere_5106

10. The extent, causes and consequences of war and conflict in the developing world.

L

11. Employment, education and health as aspects of development – the problems developing countries face in each of these areas; teh reasons behind poor employment, health and education; how each of these might contribute to development; limitations to each of these as contributing to development.  

imagesCAU0332Q

12. Gender and development – Feminist perspectives on women’s lives in the developing world; the role of women in development; the consequences of develompment for women.

women-lead-development

13. ‘Overpopulation’ – what are the causes and consequences? Oh, and what’s wrong with the concept of ’overpopulation’

Cartoon_overpopulation

This is the only module where students really get to learn about what a bleak world we live in!!! Sociology teachers – teach it!

If any teacher is wanting to switch from the much-duller- and – bastardised by the AQA- religion module, I’m happy to provide some resources for this module.  Not the whole lot, I have to maintain some competitive advantage after all!

2 Responses to “Teach Global Development – It’s fab!”

1.   Sam Says:

Great stuff – but what resources are there. I’m teaching this option, and I already teach International relations which includes Development/exploitation/SAPS et al but from a political perspective. I know Haralambos is coming out with a new Global Development Chapter AFTER the summer exam, but right now not much up to date to help me give my political savvy a sociological twist.
    AQA mark schemes don’t help at all to indicate how much theory they are looking for.
    The newish book Theorising Global Studies – Darren J O’Bryan et al looks interesting.
    Got any tipsabout up to date resources?

2.   agence immobiliere taroudant Says:

Very nice post, Thanks for this publishing. Really help me a lot.